A stay at the Shangrila Mactan (Cebu) will not be complete without a treatment at the famed Chi Spa. It is a village within a resort.  I would have taken a half day or whole day treat but since I was attending a whole day conference, I did not have the luxury of time.  Right in the middle of the cocktails I left for my much sought after appointment at the spa.
It was raining then so the hotel receptionist offered to bring me via their golf cart.  Unfortunately, some of the staff were finger pointing at each other since some claimed the road to the Chi Spa was being constructed so the cart would not be able to pass.  I no longer wanted to argue so I just borrowed an umbrella so I can reach the place dry.



It was unfortunate that I had to take an evening appointment since I was not able to see the beauty of the whole village.  When I arrived, it seems they were all busy so there was hardly anyone at the reception. Not a good start though thinking for the price I paid,  I expected a more hospitable greeting.
I was led to a waiting room and asked to fill up some forms.  My appointment was around 7pm but it was already 8pm more or less and I was still waiting. I kept pacing around then decided to go out and find anyone to tell me when I can have my treatment.  Since I already sounded upset, they finally assigned me a therapist.  She did the usual diagnosis of whether I was fire, earth, water and I came out obviously Fire :) Â but almost at par with Earth, which just brings out the Gemini in me.




I was led to a private villa which is a privilege if one gets a package.  The Travellers Retreat is described as:
” The perfect treatment to overcome jet lag and relieve stiffness, aches and pains. Combining uplifting Himalayan Bath Ritual, the detoxifying Biodroga Algae Wrap and Aroma Vitality Signature Massage”


 The villa was very spacious with its own changing area, toilet, shower and steam room.  A foot and tea ritual was done after I changed to my comfortable robe.  I then chose to do the steam bath first, showered under the stars, then got ready for the algae wrap.
When the wrap was removed, I proceeded outside in the villa’s private garden and dipped in my own himalayan bath, a mixture of  warm water, coconut milk and rose petals.
The much awaited relaxing aroma vitality massage ended the treatment.  It was a good thing I asked what the lighted place was next to the villa. Only then did I know that it was the so called juice bar that clients can go to after treatment. Hmm receptionists were not so thorough explaining the facilities. Good thing I was nosy.
I then proceeded to this juice bar and was given some fresh mixed fruits to cap my visit.  My Chi spa experience (except for the receptionist and waiting time) was far the best then till I tried the Hongkong Peninsula SPA by ESPA. This will be the subject of a different post.

Originally written April 4, 2007

Bookmark and Share

0 comments